Sunday, June 28, 2009

6 Months and still going

It is hard to believe it has been 6 months since we opened the resturant. We are fixing to really start advertising around the area and mixing things up. Up to this point we have relied on word of mouth and it has done us well but it is time for us to expand our audience. We are looking into newspaper and radio so far. We have also been approached by the people who put the coupons on the back of the register reciepts. I never realized just how expencive that is.

After 6 months we all have our little nitches but we have discovered we can be useful in other places and we have discovered we are not indispensible. Thomas is the fry guy but is good on the grill too. In my absence he can cover the window and is quite charming when he wants to be.
Amanda is the main cook. She deals with the grill but her joy is in planning and making the dinner menu. She will do the window but prefers to stay in the back away from it.
Robert is the all around man. He will help out in any area he is needed at the time. He is also quick with numbers so he does all the ordering and if we have a catering order he is the one we go to because he know what he paid and what we can sell it for.
As for me I avoid the kitchen as much as I can. I am not a cook so for the safety of our customers I stick to the window. I am also the bookkeeper. Sonething for which I have no training but feel I am doing a good job. We havn't bounced any checks and the bills are being paid on time. I know there is more to it than that but I am learning as I go. I like adding up the register and the safe and coming out even at the end of the night.
Kathryn and Sam are just along for the ride. sometimes when it gets busy I have them come out and back me up by making drinks or taking them next door. At the end of the night they get to split the tip jar. I have told them that if they don't do the work they don't get paid so we have an unearned tip account ( which is just an envelope in the safe) that some weeks gets lots of money added to it and some weeks gets none. We are using that money for their summer activities since money is so tight in our personal accounts.
There has been some bickering, we can it bantering, nothing big just everyday getting on each others nerves stuff but we work through that and keep going. Its funny we used to hold onto anger and hurt feelings for longer but when you work in such close proximity with the same people everyday you have to learn to forgive and forget alot quicker or you will be a jumble of nerves.
TTFN, love to all, must get ready for church.

No comments: