Saturday, July 12, 2008

St Marks


This morning Tom and Kathryn left with Amanda, Robert and Sam to go fishing in Cairo. By mid morning they decided the fish were not going to bite so they called me up to see what I was doing. I was in the process of straightening the office some more. They asked if I wanted to go to St marks lighthouse with them. Let's see cleaning vs field trip ummm tough decission...I of course went to St Marks.
It really was a fun and relaxing day. I did incorporate a few teachable moments into the day. We talked about why there are lighthouses and we looked at the animals that live in that habitat. After this picture they all went fishing and I found a chair and read a book from the embankment. I wanted to be with them but fishing is not my cup of tea. So I was there in my own way.



In these first two pictures the girls found a starfish on this rock. The starfish is easier to see in the second picture. They also found tons of hermit crabs. It took Kathryn a while before she would touch one let alone pick one up but by the end of the day she was an old pro at it.


There were many different types of birds to see.
This egret landed right in front of Tom and Robert while they were out fishing for crabs and scallops. In all honesty they only came up with a few oysters. It was not a good day for fishing all around. once we got there they realized that the tide was going out and that the fishing was going to be lousy. even though they did not catch anything we all had a great day together.
As we were leaving the park in the fresh water we found a few gators. Apparently people have been feeding them because every time we stopped instead of running away they would come toward the car like they were expecting us to throw some food out to them.

Look carefully on the horizen and you can see the shape of our last encounter.
Please post a comment if you read this so I can see who visits. Thanks



1 comment:

luksky said...

I love those unexpected "fun days". And I'm with you, a field trip is much better than housework!